Everyone likes starting the day feeling refreshed and energized. However, not everyone is able to fall asleep easily and stay asleep through the night. Follow these tips to sleep restfully and awaken with the vigour to enjoy a full, productive day.
- Be Physically Active – Allocate a portion of your waking hours for walking, jogging or any physical activity. Little things add up. Parking a distance from the entrance to your office so you can enjoy a brisk walk can be helpful. In fact, walking whenever possible should be incorporated into your daily exercise routine.
- Set a Bedtime Routine – You can improve your sleep routine by setting a definite time to retire every night. As your body becomes accustomed to the routine, you will notice a distinct difference in your ability to go to sleep and sleep restfully.
- Wake Up Time – Setting the same wake-up time every day helps build a solid sleep pattern. Your body learns to know what to expect. By going to bed at the same time and awakening at the same time every night and day, you will notice a positive difference.
- Minimize Noise – Part of improving your sleep routine is improving your sleep environment. Creating the right backdrop for a good night’s sleep is an important step. Turn off devices that can subconsciously or consciously interrupt the peace and quiet that is most conducive to a good night’s sleep.
- Cut Caffeine Intake – Scientists have proven that caffeine keeps us awake and prevents sound sleep. Cut your caffeine intake during the day and sleep better at night.
- Practice Proper Breathing – To sleep peacefully, do not let your breathing get in the way. A good breathing discipline can relax the muscles, nerves and mind. During the day, make a conscious effort to breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth. If you continue this breathing exercise during the night, you will sleep more soundly.
- Light Meals Before Bedtime – Staying away from sweets before bedtime can help ensure a sounder night’s sleep. You may also benefit from a good walk after dinner. Help your new routine by putting your body in a position to succeed.
- Try calming scents – Part of creating the most restful environment can be using scents to encourage sleep and calm. For example, the aroma of lavender has a calming effect on the mind and body. You can light lavender candles as part of a bedtime routine.
We hope these tips help you improve your sleep routine, achieve a good night’s sleep and awaken with more than enough energy to tackle the world!