SERVES – 4 COOKS IN – 25 minutes DIFFICULTY – Easy
For the crumble topping
- 120g plain flour
- 60g caster sugar
- 60g unsalted butter at room temperature, cut into pieces
For the fruit compote
- 300g Braeburn apples
- 30g unsalted butter
- 30g demerara sugar
- 115g blackberries
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- vanilla ice cream, to serve
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan. Tip 120g plain flour and 60g caster sugar into a large bowl.
- Add 60g unsalted butter, then rub into the flour using your fingertips to make a light breadcrumb texture. Do not overwork it or the crumble will become heavy.
- Sprinkle the mixture evenly over a baking sheet and bake for 15 mins or until lightly coloured.
- Meanwhile, for the compote, peel, core and cut 300g Braeburn apples into 2cm dice.
- Put 30g unsalted butter and 30g demerara sugar in a medium saucepan and melt together over a medium heat. Cook for 3 mins until the mixture turns to a light caramel.
- Stir in the apples and cook for 3 mins. Add 115g blackberries and ¼ tsp ground cinnamon, and cook for 3 mins more.
- Cover, remove from the heat, then leave for 2-3 mins to continue cooking in the warmth of the pan.
- To serve, spoon the warm fruit into an ovenproof gratin dish, top with the crumble mix, then reheat in the oven for 5-10 mins. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Courtesy Raymond Blanc, https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/apple-blackberry-crumble